When a person is arrested and taken into custody, they may be eligible for release on bail. A bail bond is an agreement between the court, the accused party, and a surety agent that allows them to post bail in order to get out of jail while awaiting their trial.
Getting a bail bond can be a complex process, but understanding how it works can make it easier.
In this article, we will explain the steps involved in obtaining a bail bond so you know what to expect if you ever find yourself needing one.
Bail Bond Process
1. Contact a licensed bail bond agent and provide them with the details of the case such as the accused person’s name, date of birth, charges, etc. The bail bondsman will then determine if they are eligible for a bail bond.
2. If the bail bondsman agrees to post bond on behalf of the accused, they will require a fee that is typically 10 percent of the total bail amount. This fee is non-refundable and must be paid in full before the bond can be posted.
3. Once the fee has been paid, the surety agent will post the bail bond with the court on behalf of the accused person.
4. The court will then release the accused person from custody, pending their appearance in court for trial.
5. From this point on, the bail bondsman is responsible for ensuring that the accused party shows up to all of their scheduled court appearances until their case is resolved. If they fail to appear, the surety agent may be required to forfeit the bail amount and the accused person will once again be taken into custody.
Getting a bail bond is a complex process that requires careful consideration of all the details involved. It’s important to understand how it works so you can make an informed decision when faced with this situation. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can easily navigate the bail process and get your loved one out of jail as quickly as possible.
Remember, always work with a licensed bail bondsman to ensure that your rights are protected during the process. With their help, you’ll be able to get through this difficult time with as little stress as possible. If you are looking for a bail bondsman, give us at Encinitas Bail Bonds a call. We have many years of experience helping people get their loved ones out of jail.